END GAME Cabinet abandons isolated Theresa May
DESPERATE Theresa May was today abandoned by the Cabinet and clung to power by a thread as MPs demanded that she step down within hours.
The PM faces mounting fury from her own party after she gave the Commons a chance to vote on a second Brexit referendum.
Plotting ministers stayed away from Prime Minister’s Questions and held a meeting to discuss Mrs May’s future instead.
Brexiteers are rumoured to be planning a final showdown with the PM later today, telling her it’s time to step down.
As Mrs May faces her final battle:
- Tory grandees threaten to change party rules so the leader can be removed immediately
- Fed-up backbenchers said she should go now and leave Brexit to her successor
- The PM’s DUP allies warned she is leaving Britain at the mercy of the EU
- Even Mrs May’s most loyal MPs said she should scrap the planned vote on her deal
- This morning she wrote to Jeremy Corbyn to beg him to back her and deliver Brexit
Mrs May begged MPs in the Commons today to get behind her, saying it was the duty of all MPs to make decisions, not duck them.
“If Parliament passes the bill before the summer recess, the UK will leave the EU by the end of July,” she said.