Iran says ‘ugly’ sanctions mark end of diplomacy
TEHRAN, Iran — Fresh sanctions levied by the United States drew an intense reaction from Iran on Tuesday, with a senior official saying they spell the “permanent closure” of diplomacy between the two countries.
Iran said it would take new steps to reduce its commitments under its nuclear deal with world powers on July 7, according to Fars, Iran’s semi-official news agency.
Ali Shamkhani, the head of Iran’s national security council, said European signatories to the nuclear deal had not done enough to save it, during an interview with Fars, Iran’s semi-official news agency. The landmark 2015 deal requires Iran to curb its nuclear program in exchange for the lifting of sanctions.
The U.S. withdrew from the deal last year and Trump announced additional sanctions on Monday against Iran’s supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, and his associates. The measures deny Khamenei and senior Iranian military figures access to financial resources and block their access to any assets they have under U.S. jurisdiction.
Iranian President Hassan Rouhani mocked President Donald Trump, calling the measures “outrageous and idiotic” and saying the White House is suffering from a “mental illness.”
The measures were in a part a response to Iran shooting down a U.S. surveillance drone that it said entered its airspace. The U.S. says it was flying in international airspace.