Sri Lanka Easter bombings
Nearly 500 were injured when suicide bomb blasts ripped through multiple buildings in Colombo – where tourists were staying and Christian worshippers had gathered for morning mass.
Among the dead are 35 foreigners, local reports say, including nationals from the UK, US, China, Netherlands and Portugal.
A terrified British family told how they were caught up in the atrocity as their hotel became a target for the terror.
Julian Emmanuel and his family, from Surrey, were staying at the Cinnamon Grand when the bomb went off.
He told the BBC: “We were in our room and heard a large explosion. It woke us up. There were ambulances, fire crews, police sirens.
“I came out of the room to see what’s happening, we were ushered downstairs.
“We were told there had been a bomb. Staff said some people were killed. One member of staff told me it was a suicide bomber.”
- At least 207 people killed after suicide bomb blasts at three churches and three hotels in Colombo, Sri Lanka
- A seventh and eighth explosion in Easter Sunday massacre hours after the first six
- Tourists from UK, US, China, Portugal and the Netherlands are among the victims – one Dutch and one Chinese person have been confirmed dead
- Theresa May brands attack “truly appalling” as world leaders express sorrow
- Social media ban in place to prevent spread of misinformation, and night curfew imposed
- Culprits identified, says defence minister Ruwan Wijewardene, and seven arrested
- Pope Francis condemns the attacks in his Easter Sunday message
- It comes ten days after Sri Lanka’s police chief issued alert on possible attacks to come